Saturday, September 11, 2004

9/11 Memories

Almost forgot that today is the anniversary of 9/11 0f 2000. It's actually been lurking somewhere in the back of my mind, but I almost forgot to comment on it. Then again, what is there to comment on, except that it led to a seemingly endless war between good and evil in which there exists no objective sense of who is 'good' and who is 'evil'.

I'll tell you something. The day the Supreme Court decided the recount business was irrelevant, thus determining the president, I immediately thought "Great. There's going to be a war." The only question was who with.

Then 9/11 happened. I spent the night at a friend's house the night before; we were both awakened by a phone call from another friend, telling us to turn on the television immediately. Not the nicest wake-up call, I know, but it was definitely effective. We woke up. My friends wouldn't let me out of their sight for the next three days for fear someone would take out frustrations on the nearest Arab they found. The answer to 'Who with?' had been answered on that awful day when all I could think was "Please don't let them be Arab or Muslim".

Well, I guess some things are out of my hands, like this was. I watched in horror as the pictures and identities of the hijackers was exposed, one by one, and awaited the retaliation.

Human bombs in New York and DC; Military bombs in Afghanistan; Regime change in Iraq manifesting in a SNAFU involving both military and human bombs, and God knows what else we'll see. How many have died now? How many more will die? How big is this war and what's it really about? Certainly, the victims of 9/11 aren't back and I wonder if even their families feel avenged.

Truth is the first casuality of war.

Hoping for peace.

3 Comments:

Blogger Saba said...

I like that quote, and it's true. Haven't written my 9/11 post yet (I've got another 50 mins to do it)... it's just too complicated to actually be coherent about.

One of my students from last year is Libyan. He was going back to work on his uncle's farm last summer. I really wanted him to keep a blog. don't think he did though.

Anyway, found my way here through Najma's blog.

9:12 PM  
Blogger smokey spice said...

Marhaba Sara.. I'm glad you found your way here. The blog is still pretty sparse, but with time (inshallah), I'll get a handle on this blog scene.
I only had a little time to post on 9/11 too. You're right, it is too big a topic to be coherent about. We can only try though.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Najma said...

Hi,
I liked your blog.. It's great. But you have a big mistake.
You linked to different scenes from the presentation, and all the links lead to the same presentation's introduction. This means that, a flash presentation is in one page of the website, one link for the whole presentation. No seperated links for each scene.
Give me your e-mail, and I'll send you and e-mail, a friend sent to me when I asked for help in putting links.

Good luck

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home