Friday, September 23, 2005

This Week-end in San Francisco

I was about to give up on this whole post after I lost the original. This will be a quicky as it's time sensitive.

As mentioned in my previous post, the Arab Film Festival is here! Between San Francisco, San Jose, and Berkeley, you can watch some of the best Arab-flavored feature films and some documentaries. I'm definitely not the only one super excited by it as evidenced by the rave review in the San Francisco Chronicle.

The only one I've seen so far is Sabah, which has been compared to My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I know I'm biased, but I honestly think it's better than that. The writer and director, Ruba Nadda, is a young Syrian-Canadian woman with a lot of potential. Keep an eye out.

Yesterday, San Francisco's activist organizations participated in yet another global anti-War demo. The call this time was a most definite 'Bring the troops back'. I didn't march this time--just tabled. How else do I get a break?

The DC, yesterday's rally kicked off a whole United for Peace: Saturday, September 24 Massive March, Rally & Festival coordinated by the United for Peace and Justice Coalition. Looking good over there, guys. More info on the festival here.

Also yesterday in SF was the Love Parade... I'm not advertizing it, but I know it was big. Apparently hundreds of DJs from around the world are spinning their techno (which I'm no fan of) in the city this weekend.

And today is the Folsom Street Fair. I decided not to post the actual home-page, but rather a link to SF history on this and other Street Fairs. It gives an idea of SF's legacy of activism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home