Sunday, October 16, 2005

meme response

Alright... this one is for Hanawee!

1. LAST MOVIE YOU SAW IN A THEATER:
Clay Dolls- a Tunisian film at the Arab Film Festival.

2. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING?
Animal Farm and Pushcart Prize XXIX Best of the Small Presses (a short story anthology)

3. FAVORITE BOARD GAME?
Trivial persuit maybe and monopoly, but generally I SUCK at board games. I'm okay with dominoes.

4. FAVORITE MAGAZINE?
New Yorker

5. FAVORITE SMELL?
Citrus... so fresh!

6. FAVORITE FOOD?
Hmmmmmmm...... I just found a killer sushi place that makes sushi like crack cocaine! I am fighting the urge daily to go back. So it's sushi.

7. FAVORITE SOUND?
My mother's voice.

8. WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD?
I'm with Hana on this one--leaving people behind.

9. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN
YOU WAKE UP?
How many snoozes can I get away with.

10. FAVORITE FAST FOOD PLACE?
My kitchen.

11. FUTURE CHILD'S NAME:
I'll come back to this one... it takes more thought. We already have two little Annusa's named after my mother.

12. FINISH THIS STATEMENT. IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY:
build a community center somewhere

13. DO YOU DRIVE FAST?
Don't have a car, but I do drive on the fast side when I rent one.

14. DO YOU SLEEP WITH A STUFFED ANIMAL?
I try to lure my cat over to me without much success. She likes her space.

15. STORMS-COOL OR SCARY?
As long as I can stay dry, I love storms.

16. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR?
Never had one.

17. FAVORITE DRINK?
coffee

18. FINISH THIS STATEMENT, "IF I HAD THE TIME I
WOULD...":
Take a year off to travel.

19. DO YOU EAT THE STEMS ON BROCCOLI?
Of course!

20. IF YOU COULD DYE YOUR HAIR ANY COLOR, WHAT WOULD
BE YOUR CHOICE?
I can and have and am sticking with my dark brown for many years to come.

21. NAME ALL THE DIFFERENT CITIES/TOWNS YOU HAVE
LIVED IN:
Tripoli, London, Alexandria, Cairo, Clarion (PA), St.Louis (MO), Columbia (MO), Sacramento (CA), Sienna (Italy), San Francisco

22. HALF EMPTY OR FULL?
What's the object we're talking about?

23. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH:
Ummmm.... opt out for this one.

24. ONE NICE THING ABOUT THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS!
Fabulous woman

25. MORNING PERSON, OR NIGHT OWL?
Night Owl

26. OVER EASY, OR SUNNY SIDE UP?
Boiled

27. FAVORITE PLACE TO RELAX?
Not that I have time to, but a friend's coffee shop--cup-a-joe's

28. FAVORITE PIE
Hmmmm... Cherry


Highlander, don't be mad. I'll do the others soon habibti!

Jeames, I tag you for now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Hannibal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Hannibal said...

I am really interested in knowing your impressions after seeing the Tunisian movie Clay Dolls?

6:11 AM  
Blogger smokey spice said...

I'm not even sure how to respond hannibal. The film was so multilayered--I was planning on leaving early on because of the length and intensity of the film I saw just before and I even came in late due to family phone calls, but I got sucked in completely.

The film just covered so much! Class issues on top of regional issues on top of personal issues on top of...the human stuck in between.

On the one hand, I could relate to feeling or being lost in the midst of a society that could care less but wanted something from you; on the other hand, I couldn't honestly say that I relate to a nine year old child sent to make money for her family. I could quite well understand the position of feeling that you have principles and yet having the rest of society saying you did not.

The characters are very real--each one of them sticks with me and their dilemmas as well.

Overall, I think the film was well done, well concieved, and well executed. I do think that it may have been offensive for some people...but I also think that many of those same people are out of touch with this kind of reality and I'd rather them be offended and awakened than have them continue slumbering for no good reason.

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not mad ;) but waiting !

6:29 AM  
Blogger jeames morgan said...

clearly you must be dead now.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home