Saturday, May 27, 2006

Frustrations of an Angry Iraqi-- May 17

Frustrations of an Angry Iraqi
Monday May 15, 2006 at 11:20 PM

I'm in a very bad mood tonight. I just got home from a protest in Dearborn, Michigan, largest home to Arabs outside the Middle East. My throat is a bit sore, but not as sore as my spirits. I was one of six people who protested outside the Arab-American Museum this evening. You see, the museum, unwittingly of her crimes, I'd like to think, granted the Arab-American Institute venue to host Madeline Albright. The Clinton administration's Secretary of State was to speak about her new book 'The Mighty and the Almighty: Reflections on America, God, and World Affairs.'

I was there with one other Arab, two other protesters were Caucasian, one was Jewish, and one cute baby whose delightful smile made the rainy weather easier to protest in. We stood at each of the museum's two entrances with our signs. 'Madeline Albright, 500,000 kids' lives do matter,' 'The 'price' is not worth it,' 'Uncle Scum kills kids,' 'Remember the Nakba.'

We called her out for her war crimes of supporting sanctions on Iraq and unconditionally supporting Israel's violent occupation of Palestine. Those few people going into the building who answered us on why they were attending responded that they were there for 'dialogue', a word I grew to despise on this rainy night.

Cops kept a close eye on us the entire two hours we were there. Museum personnel took pictures of us as they nervously whispered to s"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home