Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Female Detention Centers in Libya .... and me

It could have been me in one of these female detention centers. No, really, it could have. Not because I did anything 'wrong' but because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and my minimal deviance was enough to land me there.

My deviance, in this instance, was asking my cousin to stop by shore at sun-set before dropping me off at home (literally 4 blocks away). He did me a favor and I almost landed us in jail. I'm thankful for getting home and I'm thankful for the experience as well.

I can never think of women in these facilities as distant from me. So I guess we are a threat to the society afterall and it wasn't all in my head.

Libya: A Threat to Society?
Arbitrary Detention of Women and Girls for “Social Rehabilitation

PDF of the full report: http://hrw.org/reports/2006/libya0206/libya0206web.pdf

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home