Saturday, February 18, 2006

Ten die in Libya--cartoon clash

Not much time to comment now, but I will say that I'm curious about this. Libya doesn't protect the right to assembly so I'm not sure how this BBC NEWS | World | Africa | Ten die in Libya cartoon clash">rioting happened, who was behind this, okayed it or what. This whole thing has gotten much bigger than I could ever have expected... strange thing is that everyone I talk to says that. One of my brothers at least is joining in the boycott, but I haven't heard of anyone here protesting yet.

Last I read, Denmark has lost about $5 million in exports to the Middle East. By now, this is probably old news in the blogosphere, but I'm still stuck in the moment of surprise.

And now with the new pictures coming out from Abu Ghraib, where does the rioting go? Or is it more safe politically to riot and protest about cartoons than it is about reality? I don't recall any riots breaking out involving the killing of Muslims by Muslims when the Iraq was invaded.... so what gives?

(Then again, why is Australia releasing the photos now and why am I hearing rumors about China enforcing their child-birth limitations laws on Muslims suddenly)

I'm still trying to make sense of it. My spidey-sense so far is telling me that something fishy is going on--and not in the yummy hut miggly (fried fish) kind of way.

Lone Highlander has a great post on this that everyone should check out.

More on this later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home