Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Danish Cartoons

Wow...All hell broke loose in a couple of days! I spent a bit of time searching online for the comics that caused the mayhem and finally found--guess what--a BLOG with the cartoons (link is at the bottom of this post).

I won't go into analysis at this point because I'm just beginning to discover the problem. However, I will say that so far, I do have a glimpse of both sides. KW's depiction of any Muslim, whether it was supposed to be Mohammed or otherwise, is very much reminiscent of Orientalist depictions of bushy haired Muslim/Arab men...the type that old movies portray. The fact of the Shahada (declaration of belief) on the front of canon ball with a lit stem isn't good. Aside from the image itself being out-dated as an attack on Arabs (unless this is actually the point), it is a provocative image.

BUT as a proponent of free speech and free dialogue, I'm at a loss as to how to react to the reaction. Maybe I don't get it. I just don't think that one obviously negative representation of the Prophet is worth a death warrant or several. I have a feeling (can't know since I can't translate the comics) that more than that particular cartoon are the source of the outrage.

We Muslims, whether culturally or belief based, might want to take a careful look at these depictions to really learn how people see us and our beliefs--and really, this is no defense of DW. Denmark is the only country I know of that actually has social programs, directed by Muslims, that actually assist second generation Muslims in negotiating with where their families come from and where they are. I don't see this as docile, as many seem to be describing the Danish. I think it's fierce.


The Cartoons:
PBS Watch: Farenheit 451 Alert

5 Comments:

Blogger Highlander said...

im waiting for your update:)

6:45 PM  
Blogger jeames morgan said...

seriously, the abrahamists need to stop taking themselves so seriously. they are only going to hurt those of us who aren't completely insane.

hell, if their god was who they think it is, it wouldn't allow them to exist. and their mere existence can only be explained by the rejection of their silly religions ... or that their god is trying to punish me.

2:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been totally riveted to this story! It's so awful!

Here are a couple links to stuff I've been reading about it:

http://spaceoctopus.livejournal.com/107993.html
A response cartoon from Jordan which sums up a lot of my feelings about it -- the West is holding a discourse which seems to be purely about freedom of speech, like that's the only thing going on -- while the Muslim world seems to be talking mostly about ethnic hatred.

http://yamansalahi.livejournal.com/18237.html
Some thoughtful commentary from a Syrian UC Berkeley freshman who thinks that the boycott is off-base.

I also heard that Iran is changing the name of Danish pastries to "Mohammedan" pastries! Freedom fries and Mohammedan pastries, anyone?

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. why in the name of heaven are you linking to that pbs watch site? TURN OFF THE SEVEN HUNDRED CLUB, PICCOLA!

2:02 AM  
Blogger smokey spice said...

Ciao bella ragazza--That was the only site at the time that had the cartoons up. I couldn't find them anywhere. I guess I should change it now since plenty of others have reprinted the cartoons.

ss

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home