Thursday, October 07, 2004

Opportunity in Libya

Libya Event

To enable the comfortable easing in of big money, Libya is hosting a conference this month. For those seeking opportunities in the up and coming 'Gulfy' state in North Africa, here's an interesting event that I came across. Familiar sponsors and supporters on the side bar. Take note of the 'Patronage of Saif Al Islam'... it may hold some clues as to the future of Libyan governance as well as some of the drive behind the recent 180 degree turn in economic policy.

As for my commentary, I can't quite move past the image of slick men in sharp suits or pastel lenin running around Tripoli wiping the drool from their chins after mirages of piles of money in the desert invade their thoughts. I don't mean the ones already there...

Here's realism for you: If we're at the mercy of a few families, maybe it's not such a bad thing that their off-springs' rebellion might translate into some economic liberation for the rest of the population.

Then again, aside from impressing statistics on work sheets on file in the WTO, IMF, and other international financiers, I'm apprehensive about the true extent of the 'trickle down' ideology.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very low 'trickle down' unless you have the necessary skills to work in all these new setups....but let us not loose hope all toghether..I shall keep my optimism

4:00 AM  
Blogger smokey spice said...

Optimism is good, and you're right to be so. I'm generally optimistic myself. It's just the other voice in my head that sometimes rattles off the various experiences of other countries' privatization. Cheers.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home