Wednesday, October 06, 2004

U.S. Report Finds No Evidence of Iraq WMD

I wish I could gloat. I wish I could even be relieved about this report. But this is like the courts finding someone innocent and framed that the state had already executed. Aside from a theoretical affirmation, there's little pleasure to find in this kind of thing. The dead are still dead; the violated still violated; the heartbreak and humiliation and anger and frustration cannot be compensated. Time may heal physical wounds, but the psychological trauma experienced by a people is the stuff legends are made of.

The most important lesson I've learned over the last 10 years is that 'facts' are not nearly as powerful as 'perceptions' and 'impressions'.
The culture of fear and hatred invoked to support the call for war is still breathing down my neck. Even as specific instances of deception are uncovered, the psychological and social effects of this administration's policies and rhetoric are deep and irrational. It is my belief (and I am only one among many) that we now have institutionally sanctioned and encouraged discrimination towards Arabs and Muslims, anyone that is confused with them, and anyone that may sympathize with any of our causes. I am also convinced that many people in the United States have not yet opened their eyes to what exchanging civil liberties and governmental transparency for security really means.

Yahoo! News - U.S. Report Finds No Evidence of Iraq WMD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home